This program is an introduction to the sport of rowing for athletes currently enrolled in high school. The program is two weeks long with lesson times Monday to Friday 6:00 pm to 7:30 pm. at the GRC boathouse, rain or shine.
WHO: This program is designed for high-school athletes as an introduction to the sport of rowing.
WHERE: Guelph Rowing Club boathouse, rain or shine.
WHEN: Orientation and Information Meeting – Thursday Sept. 5, 6:00 pm at the Guelph Rowing Club boathouse.
Regular lesson times:
Monday Sept. 9 to Friday Sept. 13
Monday Sept. 16 to Friday Sept. 20
6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Note: Friday Sept. 20 will be a race night and treats.
WHAT: This program focuses on the Sport For Life Learn-to-Train and Training-to-Train phases of Long Term Athlete Development.
Participants in this introductory rowing program will learn . . .
- Safety rules and navigational protocols
- Fundamental rowing technique
- Care and maintenance of equipment – racing shell and oars
- Introduction to training & racing
- Proper boat handling and dock procedures
- Learning to be a member of a crew
Students who complete the fall learn-to-row program and enjoy the sport of rowing may wish to go on to participate in the winter training and spring on-the-water competitive programs.
FEE: See Program Fees page.
Registration deadline Monday September 9, before you go on the water!!!!!!
- Watch this RCA video on youth rowing.
- Watch the RCA safety video before the first lesson.
- Forms: Download, print, and complete the following forms and bring them to the first lesson.
- Medical Information
- GRC Safety Program Form
- Disclosure of information
- GRC – Liability Waiver and Assumption of Risk under 18
- RO Concussion CoC – Athlete (11-14 years)
- RO Concussion CoC – Athlete (15+ years)
The Fall Junior Rowing Program and associated events are under the control and supervision of the GRC and are not school-supervised events. Participants are insured through their registration with Row Ontario and Rowing Canada.
- Parents and Students are also required to review Ministry Approved Concussion Awareness Resources:
MTCS Concussion Awareness – Ages 11-14
MTCS Concussion Awareness – Ages 15 & Up
Row Ontario – Concussion Management
- Register here.
The GRC policy is that there will be no refunds of program fees. Under special circumstances, a program fee may be partially refunded. This is based on provision of timely, officially documented medical reasons, which cannot have pre-existed at the time of joining GRC. This decision is solely at the discretion of the Board, and subject to deduction of fees committed on behalf of the registrant.